So this morning (it is currently 10am), I went for an hour long walk. I figure if I want to continue losing weight, continuing to exercise is kind of important, huh?
Now on my walk, I discovered a few things about Korea and the people who live here. First: most Korean shops are not for morning people.
Notice I say most. I know a lot of people who are up and about and working by 9am. However! Just about 1 out of every 20 shops was open or opening when I left for my walk at 8:30am. This increased to around 1 out of ever 10 on the way back, but still. That seems like a pretty small number. And out of all of the coffee shops I passed, only about 6 were open. I passed around 20. So in conclusion: 1 out of every 10 shops were open and 1 out of every 3 coffee shops were open. Looks like I was right to try and get my shopping done last night!
The second thing I noticed: out of all of the people who were exercising/ walking, I was showing the most skin. If you know me, you know that I do not like to show a lot of excess skin, especially when I am working out. This morning I was wearing long pants and a t-shirt. Almost everyone else was completely covered: long sleeves, gloves, hats, face masks, the works. At first I thought maybe there was something wrong with the air or the sun until I remembered that in Korea, pale skin is considered beautiful. Basically the exact opposite from America! Which should mean I am good to go since I'm pretty pale, right? Wrong. Most of the women here always wear long sleeves during the day or carry an umbrella to ensure they do not tan at all. Whew... I honestly don't know if I can do that!
But I think I might look into a hat. Especially if it means I can go and see this view every morning as part of my walk.
Now on my walk, I discovered a few things about Korea and the people who live here. First: most Korean shops are not for morning people.
Notice I say most. I know a lot of people who are up and about and working by 9am. However! Just about 1 out of every 20 shops was open or opening when I left for my walk at 8:30am. This increased to around 1 out of ever 10 on the way back, but still. That seems like a pretty small number. And out of all of the coffee shops I passed, only about 6 were open. I passed around 20. So in conclusion: 1 out of every 10 shops were open and 1 out of every 3 coffee shops were open. Looks like I was right to try and get my shopping done last night!
The second thing I noticed: out of all of the people who were exercising/ walking, I was showing the most skin. If you know me, you know that I do not like to show a lot of excess skin, especially when I am working out. This morning I was wearing long pants and a t-shirt. Almost everyone else was completely covered: long sleeves, gloves, hats, face masks, the works. At first I thought maybe there was something wrong with the air or the sun until I remembered that in Korea, pale skin is considered beautiful. Basically the exact opposite from America! Which should mean I am good to go since I'm pretty pale, right? Wrong. Most of the women here always wear long sleeves during the day or carry an umbrella to ensure they do not tan at all. Whew... I honestly don't know if I can do that!
But I think I might look into a hat. Especially if it means I can go and see this view every morning as part of my walk.
| The other side of the lake, aka the turning point for my walk. |
good morning sunshine Nikky! love that you found such a beautiful place to walk and what a fabulous plan to walk there every day. as for being a fair skinned beauty...well, need I say more! warm GA hugs from mom
ReplyDelete