5 months. I've been in Korean for over 5 months now. That means I have completed more than a third of my (current) contract. Wow.
First, let me apologize for not keeping up with this blog. I got distracted by life. A good distracted. I'm getting to know my coworkers really well, I'm making friends in other cities and a few friends in Daegu, I've started learning new things, and I've discovered a few things about myself along the way.
I don't want to bog you down with too much in this first post, mainly so I have a reason to keep coming back and posting, but I should probably fill you in on the most important thing that has happened since I arrived in Korea.
I love it. I love the country, I love most of the people and most of the customs, I love the food, I love the atmosphere, and most of all I love what I do.
Back home, there were many days I had to drag myself out of bed, reminding myself as I brushed my teeth and slumped to the car that this was my job and it was paying the bills. Here? Sure, there are days where I have to drag myself out of bed, but not because I don't want to work. Mainly because I'm just too lazy to get dressed. But then I remind myself that I get to see the kids and I'm ready to go.
There are good days and bad days with teaching, as every teacher will tell you, but the good days far outnumber the bad days for me. Since I work at an after school academy, sometimes students leave, and I always feel horrible. I think "What could I have done differently? What could I have done to make them stay?" It really is sad when most students leave. I say most because some students... well, they're trouble makers. And while I was working on getting them under control, the class, as a whole, works better and has been learning more with them gone. But I still think about and miss some students. And with graduation for the pre-K kids just around the corner... I just know I'm gonna shed tears.
Oh, back to my main point. I have discovered I love teaching. Little kids, elementary school kids, and even the middle school kids. I love them all. Even if I do feel lonely sometimes, I honestly don't think I've been this happy and content with my job and life in a very, very long time.
Here, these pics show you just a little bit of what I get to deal with on a weekly basis. Be jealous.
First, let me apologize for not keeping up with this blog. I got distracted by life. A good distracted. I'm getting to know my coworkers really well, I'm making friends in other cities and a few friends in Daegu, I've started learning new things, and I've discovered a few things about myself along the way.
I don't want to bog you down with too much in this first post, mainly so I have a reason to keep coming back and posting, but I should probably fill you in on the most important thing that has happened since I arrived in Korea.
I love it. I love the country, I love most of the people and most of the customs, I love the food, I love the atmosphere, and most of all I love what I do.
Back home, there were many days I had to drag myself out of bed, reminding myself as I brushed my teeth and slumped to the car that this was my job and it was paying the bills. Here? Sure, there are days where I have to drag myself out of bed, but not because I don't want to work. Mainly because I'm just too lazy to get dressed. But then I remind myself that I get to see the kids and I'm ready to go.
There are good days and bad days with teaching, as every teacher will tell you, but the good days far outnumber the bad days for me. Since I work at an after school academy, sometimes students leave, and I always feel horrible. I think "What could I have done differently? What could I have done to make them stay?" It really is sad when most students leave. I say most because some students... well, they're trouble makers. And while I was working on getting them under control, the class, as a whole, works better and has been learning more with them gone. But I still think about and miss some students. And with graduation for the pre-K kids just around the corner... I just know I'm gonna shed tears.
Oh, back to my main point. I have discovered I love teaching. Little kids, elementary school kids, and even the middle school kids. I love them all. Even if I do feel lonely sometimes, I honestly don't think I've been this happy and content with my job and life in a very, very long time.
Here, these pics show you just a little bit of what I get to deal with on a weekly basis. Be jealous.
So glad to hear that things are going well Nikky, congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteVery nice! Congrats to you dear!
ReplyDelete