Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dealing and a revelation

One of the things every traveler learns, especially ones who completely move to a different country, is that you will have to deal with feeling depressed. Even if you are the happiest person on Earth, you will more than likely experience it at least once. I plan on writing an entire post about dealing with Traveler's Depression, how you can brace yourself for it and get over it, but that is not what this post is about. No, this post is about something else...

How to deal with being in a new place for your birthday.

I know, sounds kind of silly, right? Well, maybe it is, but I have spent every birthday for the past 6 years with an amazing group of friends. Sometimes it was a big party, sometimes it was just a small(ish) get together at my favorite restaurant. So it is a little sad to think that this year I will be spending it the same way I spend most of my days: at work then having dinner alone.

There are a lot of people that do not make a big deal about their birthday because, really, who likes celebrating getting older? But that isn't why I liked celebrating my birthday. I liked the fact that it was one of the days that I could get together with all of my friends, both old and new, and just hang out and have fun. But since I really don't have a group of friends here in Daegu yet, except my coworkers, I feel like having a get together would be a little silly.

So instead I'm going to be here, online, with Skype and G-chat open. Anyone that wants to drop in for a minute and say hello is more than welcome.

Actually, when I started writing this article, I was a little upset that I would be spending my birthday alone. But now that I've reached the end, I've realized something. I may be alone physically, but I have friends all around the world. And whether I get to speak to them on my birthday or not, that doesn't matter. What matters is that they are, in fact, my friends. And that no matter where I go, I will never be alone.

Thank you all so much.

2 comments :

  1. you are so right, you are never alone...you are a very kind and loving person that is missed more than you will every know my many. your adventures have always been and will always be a source of pride and excitement for me, your biggest fan, mom

    ReplyDelete