Sunday, December 14, 2014

D-7 days- the nerves

So I'm currently 7 days out from surgery (if I've done my math right), and I am SO nervous. I have seen so many stories on the FAI facebook page I am a part of... Some of them are good but SO many of them are bad. People with pain still, people not recovering quickly, people with more problems post op than pre op... It definitely has me worried.

But I am getting the surgery done much sooner than most of my hippie comrades. Most of them tried the medicine and rest approach for awhile before the pain got too bad and some of them thought they were being silly and didn't bring up the problem/pain with a doctor until it was too late. So... I'm a little hopeful. 

I actually posed a question to them the day the surgeon and I made the schedule. "If you could go back in time and get the bone shaving surgery done sooner instead of trying the medicine approach first, would you?" And out of the people that responded, only 1 said no. In fact, I met a few people who had it done early like me! They're in their later 30s and 40s now and are extremely happy with their decision to "jump the gun" as their surgeons and friends had so eloquently put it. 

But that led me to think- why is "jumping the gun" here a bad thing? I'm not a doctor or a nurse, so I can only talk about this from the patient's view but... If I can avoid further injury and pain, why shouldn't I? 

Ok... And... Honestly? I'm so terrified of living in pain again. I know, I know, spare you the gallbladder sob story. But... It is so etched into my brain and my history, I can help it! I FINALLY have a doctor who listened and agreed to nip this in the bud! 

Alright, sorry, back on track. I'm very nervous. I live alone in a foreign country and I know it's gonna be hard so yes.  I worry and am nervous and stuff... I know the nerves won't get better over the next week, but Soo and I are doing everything we can to address the things that are worrying me and making me nervous so (hopefully) things will go smoothly in the days and weeks ahead.  

No comments :

Post a Comment