Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Time to slim down!

With the prospect of leaving in my future, I'm currently focusing on a few things, but the main thing? Is slimming down.

And no, I don't mean my weight!

I've lived away from home now for almost 8 years. For the past 6, I've lived in apartments. And for the last year, I've lived on my own. What does this mean?

Good LORD do I have a lot of stuff! Stuff I need, stuff I don't need, stuff for decorating, stuff to remember things that have happened, stuff I fear i might need one day... Just STUFF.

So I have been spending time cleaning, throwing stuff out, getting ready to sell or donate, and basically just downsize. I'm lucky enough that I have friends who help, otherwise these past few weekends? Would have been horrible.

A few weekends ago I was lucky enough that two of my best friends came over and helped me my living room and kitchen. I think we got rid of about 5 trashbags full of stuff? And we found 3 trashbags worth of clothes. My bookcase is now organized and I have a list of books I'll be selling as well as equipment like a PS2, Sega Saturn, and one of the new Atari remakes (CRYING RIGHT NOW). I also finally went through and made a list of all of the furniture I have. Wow. I definitely had enough stuff for a two bedroom apartment.

Now comes the hard part- selling it all. So far I've been somewhat successful at selling/ getting rid of things! I'm down a bed frame, bookcase, all 3 gaming systems, some kitchen stuff and storage stuff, and all of my text books are going this weekend. Slowly but surely! And truthfully? Whatever I haven't sold by May 7th is getting donated to the goodwill. Why? Because I. Don't. Need. It. No, the best idea is to get rid of everything furniture wise before I leave and then restock when I get back.

The next week and a half will be filled with more packing, throwing out, and selling, so that hopefully come May 7th, I've got nothing left except what I absolutely need! Er, at least that is the plan...

No comments :

Post a Comment